Saturday, September 22, 2007

Why A.D.D. Knitter?

A (ttention)
D (eficit)
D (isorder)
Knitter.
No, I am not the add or math knitter. I will leave that to Lara Neal of Math for Knitters. Which is an awesome podcast which I highly recommend.
http://www.math4knitters.blogspot.com/
Who am I?
I am a knitter/spinner/quilter/crocheter/all around craftsperson and teacher of most crafts who is like a crow with a shiny object. If I see something brightly colored (Noro, or sock yarn, Shaeffer Anne, etc), shiny or soft, I must have it and make it mine... take it home and call it George. Most people refer to this as their stash. I'm not really sure if it can be referred to as a stash if you have started a project with almost every skein of yarn you own? Although the fact that I used to work in a knitting store where I got 25% off means I have a lot of neglected yarn too.
I'm not going to go into a lot of detail explaining who I am & bore you with tons of facts which will probably come up in the course of posting to this blog anyway. If you are interested in unraveling the mystery of me, continue to read future posts. I have chosen the pseudonym of Katie Knitterspin because I like the idea of posting anonymously. Lime & Violet and a couple of other podcasts have talked about this & it sounded like a cool idea to me. While I am starting this blog to give myself some accountability with my purchases & projects I also don't want to tattle on myself to certain people who shall remain nameless (dh, kids, mom, etc.). At some point I'm sure that I will be posting my pictures, etc, but for now I can have a Clark Kent type of identity. Actually I think I am sort of shy and this is a way of testing the waters without having to lay everything out on the line.
Designer or just CRAZY?
Designing is also a passion of mine, which leads to quite a few abandoned projects. Last night I watched a movie called "Copying Beethoven." http://www.blockbuster.com/catalog/movieDetails/256754
In the movie he said that God is constantly singing in his ear & he had to write it down to get it out of his head. I don't want to pretend that I am anywhere near to the greatness of Beethoven (or God for that matter), but the part of writing something down to get it out of my head is exactly how I feel about a new knitting pattern. Unfortunately this leads to a lot of half knitted projects around the house if the pattern doesn't work out the way I had hoped. I had a knitting designer once tell me that I am lucky if the pattern I'm trying to work out works anywhere near the fifth try. I do not have the stamina with any knitting project to try 5 times to get it to work out. Anyway, I figured with this blog I will use it as a way to make myself work harder at working out something and writing my patterns out to make them available through the blog. I have designed probably 20 sock patterns most of which are now either lost because I didn't write them down or at the bottom of a knitting bag somewhere. My friends and family have encouraged me to share some of this with others and that is what I intend to do.


What is the purpose of this blog?
I had heard on one of the multiple podcasts I listen to that blogging or podcasting about your projects and stash give you some accountability. If anyone needs accountability it is me. I must have at least 50 knitting projects, 10 or so spinning projects (as many bobbins as I currently own), a couple of cross stitch projects, and at least 10 quilting projects. I figured if I am blogging about them maybe it will make me a little more monogamous with my projects. If not at least it will provide some entertainment for those of you who don't have the same A.D.D. challenges.
The other thing I intend to do with this blog is post some of my patterns so that others may enjoy them as well. Hopefully this will also give me more incentive to write them down and/or complete something I started. Since I am in the process of working on a couple of them now and don't know where the digital camera is to take pictures I will end this post and talk about them in future posts.
Until then... Just keep knitting, just keep knitting, knitting, knitting, just keep ???
(those of you with young children will recognize that from Finding Nemo where Dori is singing to herself).
TTFN!

No comments: